In general the traction will be better when there is more surface area and busier pattern. Below mentioned are the types of sole patterns-
- Pattern #1- This pattern is very flat and does not provide any real traction other than on a clean, dry surface.
- Pattern #2- This pattern has lots of surface area and good channels. The large surface area give lots of contact with the walking surface and the well-defined channels help to channel water away to avoid hydroplaning.
- Pattern #3- A cross between #2 & #4. It has a slightly deeper lug pattern than #2, but more surface area then #4 and is suitable for outdoor wear on concrete, asphalt, and somewhat rough terrain.
- Pattern #4- This sole pattern has a deep lug which is suitable for rugged outdoor work such as forestry and are also good for climbing up dirt or grassy hills. These are good for walking on gravel but don’t provide good traction for smoother or slicker surfaces.
- Polyurethane- a lightweight soling material which is oil & chemical resistant, abrasion resistant and offers a high degree of comfort on hard surfaces.
- Rubber- Some rubber formulas can be soft and pliable; these types tend to offer better traction in cold weather applications along the same lines as a winter tire.
- Nitrile rubber- is a highly heat resistant (up to 300°C) rubber soling material with excellent chemical and abrasion resistance, thereby offering excellent traction both in oily environments and in cold weather.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (T.P.U.)- is a urethane formula with a rubber compound added to it and this makes the TPU perform better in colder temperatures by improving its abrasion resistance.
- Dual-density- a combination of softer, low density material made from E.V.A or polyurethane and then add a skin that serves as the sole. E.V.A offers good traction especially in cold weather and P.U (Polyurethane) versions provide “all season” traction.
You need to understand the surfaces your employees work on because each terrain like concrete, asphalt, gravel, indoor/outdoor, hot/cold temperatures plays an important contributing factor in selecting the safety footwear.
We’re here to help
Warrior safety shoes have a wide range of comfort safety shoes for every type of industry and work environment and we help evaluate the right outsole pattern and material for the terrain your employees are working on. So we are here to help you with a full footwear solution for your business.